Building permits are required to ensure that all buildings are safely designed and constructed in accordance with the Alberta Building Code.
It is necessary to obtain a building permit for:
- All new construction
- Changes in use
- Redevelopment projects
- Removal or demolition of buildings
- Some renovations
This notice serves as a reminder that the transition period for voluntary application of the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) 2011 and Section 9.36. Alberta Building Code (ABC) 2014 for housing and small buildings ends on November 1, 2016.
Where an application for a building permit for a site-constructed building is received on or after November 1, 2016, the building design must comply with the requirements of the NECB 2011 or Section 9.36. ABC 2014 as appropriate. Please review the entire Notice about the National Energy Code (PDF).
Builder Licensing Program - Alberta Municipal AffairsAll builders or owner-builders, for any new residential dwellings and some additions will be required to provided their full provisional builders licencing number before issuance of a Building Permit from the MD. All Building Permit Applications received prior to May 1, 2018, maybe "grandfathered" and they will not need to demonstrate they have been issued a full provisional licence yet.
Memo from New Home Buyer Protection Office:
Builder Licence Implementation and Building Permit Applications Memo - Alberta Municipal Affairs
• New Home Warranties, Government of Alberta
• Q&A, New Home Warranties
• Municipal Affairs toll-free at 1-866-421-6929
Changes in M.D. Building Permit Application ProcessPlease read the document below for summary on new building permit application review and drop off process. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our Development & Planning Department for assistance.
MD PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT PERMIT APPLICATION PROCESS (PDF)
MD of Bighorn Building Permit Application & Other
- Building Permit Application, Request for Occupancy form and Construction Waste Management Plan (PDF)
- Construction Waste Management Form (PDF)
- Document Submission Checklist - Requirements for all Part 9 Buildings
- Building Permit Application - List of Professionals (optional) (PDF)
- Building Permit Application - Specifications (optional) (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application (PDF)
- Manufactured Stone and Brick - Exterior Wall Cladding Systems Form - Rivers Bend (PDF)
- Moisture Control Form C (PDF)
- Variance Application - Alberta Building Code Requirements (PDF)