Building permits are required to ensure that all buildings are safely designed and constructed in accordance with the Alberta Building Code.
It is necessary to obtain a building permit for:
- All new construction
- Changes in use
- Redevelopment projects
- Removal or demolition of buildings
- Some renovations
This notice serves as a reminder that the transition period for voluntary application of the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) 2011 and Section 9.36. Alberta Building Code (ABC) 2014 for housing and small buildings ends on November 1, 2016.
Where an application for a building permit for a site-constructed building is received on or after November 1, 2016, the building design must comply with the requirements of the NECB 2011 or Section 9.36. ABC 2014 as appropriate. Please review the entire Notice about the National Energy Code (PDF).
Please read the document below for summary on new building permit application review and drop off process. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our Development & Planning Department for assistance.
NOTICE: Changes in M.D. Building Permit Application Process
MD PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT PERMIT APPLICATION PROCESS (PDF)
MD of Bighorn Building Permit Application
- Development and Building Application - Changes to Application Process
- Construction Waste Management Form (PDF)
- Building Permit Application - List of Professionals (optional) (PDF)
- Building Permit Application - Specifications (optional) (PDF)
- Building Permit Application, Request for Occupancy form and Construction Waste Management Plan (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application (PDF)
- Manufactured Stone and Brick - Exterior Wall Cladding Systems Form - Rivers Bend (PDF)
- Moisture Control Form C (PDF)
- Variance Application - Alberta Building Code Requirements (PDF)
- Document Submission Checklist - Requirements for all Part 9 Buildings