The Municipal District of Bighorn provides grants, to eligible recipients, for various purposes:
- Initiatives / causes / purposes of a broader scope, that will benefit the Municipal District
- Organizations sponsoring special activities of benefit to Municipal District residents as a whole
- Recognized Community Associations / Groups needing funds for recreation, culture, FCSS and facility-related projects
Grant Types and Application Review Processes
Community Grant applications for operational and maintenance projects are reviewed by the Community Services Board (CSB) in September each year. The Community Grants budget is just over $20,000 so grants may be reduced or prioritised by CSB to fit their annual grant allocation. Recommendations from the CSB are considered by Council as part of the annual budgeting process. Successful and unsuccessful applicants are notified via email soon after the budget is finalised with funds being released in January of the grant year.
Council Discretionary Grants applications for operational and maintenance projects outside the Community Services Grants time frame are submitted to Council through Community Services. The application process for a Council Discretionary Grant is approximately 3 months.
Community Enhancement Grants for capital projects are available year round. Initial discussion of the project is with your Ward Council Member(s), if they support your project a formal application is submitted through Community Services for Council's consideration. These capital projects must be completed within one year.
Give Community Services a call at 403-673-3611 or 403-233-7678 to get more information on our grant application process.
The deadline to apply for 2020 Community Grants is Friday August 23, 2019.
Grant Accounting for 2019 is due Friday, August 16, 2019.
- An interim report is required if your project is not yet completed
- Submit final reports for completed 2019 Community Grants, Council Discretionary Grants and Community Enhancement Grants.
- Final 2019 Grant Accounting reports are due by December 20, 2019.
Council Discretionary Grants or Community Enhancement Grants may be available outside the Community Grants time frame.
For Community Enhancement Grants please contact your Ward Councillor(s) to discuss your project prior to formal application.
Program Details and Forms
- Policy CS-8 MD Grant Policy (PDF)
- Policy F-10 Community Enhancement Program (PDF)
- MD Grant Accounting Form 2019 (PDF) - due Friday, August 16, 2019 if you are applying for a 2020 Community Grant.
Final 2019 Grant Accounting reports are due by December 20, 2019.
- MD CS-8 Grant Application 2019 (PDF) - this fillable PDF application can be used throughout the year to apply for Council Discretionary Grants which fall outside the annual Community Service Board Grant time frame.
- MD CS-8 Grant Application 2020 (PDF) a fillable PDF for 2020 Community Services Grants, due Friday August 23, 2019.