Planning Services


Planning and Development Applications

Application Submissions

The MD of Bighorn office is open regular business hours on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Applications for Development Permit, Compliance Assessment, Subdivisions, Land Use Bylaw Amendments, and Statutory Plan Amendments can be dropped-off in person, mailed to MD of Bighorn Office or submitted via e-mail to:

Please note that large sets of drawings should be submitted electronically. Under certain circumstances, we have relaxed our practices to accept pictures of documents to be sent via email when a person does not have scanning capability. If an application includes large files that cannot be emailed, we ask that applicants please contact us in advance of submitting their application and we will advise them where they can send large files. Upon receipt of an application, a member of our team will follow up to arrange for payment.  A review of your application will then take place.  You will be advised by email of the status of your application review.

Planning and Development Application Forms

Planning Documents and Materials

Planning inquiries and Enforcement

Planning Inquiries

For Planning Inquiries, please provide a written submission via e-mail to: 

E-mail inquiries are preferred to phone calls as we may need some time to prepare a response to your inquiry. Planning Staff will provide a response within 48-hours of submission. Depending on the complexity of your inquiry, staff may require additional time and will provide you with a timeline. 

Land Use Bylaw Enforcement

For all Land Use Bylaw related enforcement complaints, please provide a written submission via e-mail to: 

Once the Planning Staff has received your email, they will provide a response within 48-hours. Note that all complaints remain anonymous and no private information will be released during and after an investigation. We strive to achieve compliance through guiding and educating all parties involved.  

Frequently asked questions or processes

  • Do I need a development permit?: Section 42 of Land Use Bylaw 09-Z/18 outlines what types of development require a Development Permit, and what types of development are exempt from a development permit. Note that items exempt from a Development Permit must meet all Land Use Bylaw regulations, including setbacks, and may still require a Safety Codes Permit.

  • How will I receive my Notice of Application/Decision? These will be sent electronically (via email) to the applicant. 

  • How do I find Legal Land Description for my property? Your legal land description can be found on your land title, notice of assessment, or you can do a legal land search using the Government of Alberta Land Titles Spatial Information System SPIN2. You are also welcome to speak with Planning Staff for assistance. 

  • How do I find Land Owner information? Land owner information is available through the Government of Alberta Land Titles Spatial Information System SPIN2. Sign in as a guest user. In SPIN you are able to search for Land Title data products. Note that the MD cannot give out personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, or emails. 

  • What District or Zone is my property located in?: You can identify your land on the Land Use Bylaw 09-Z/18 Maps that are available on our website.

  • Now I know my land use District or Zone, what can I do on my land?: You can read the regulations for your land use district in the Land Use Bylaw 09-Z/18 that is available on our website. 

  • Can I request a document pick-up? Most planning related decisions or letters are now being sent electronically via email. However, If you wish to have a hardcopy, please let planning staff know and a copy can be prepared for pick-up or sent by mail. 

  • Does Planning assist with documents related to Land Titles? Please contact Planning Staff to coordinate any documents that are required to be sent to Land Titles such as; Agreements, Discharge of Caveat, or Postponements. Note that there may be some delays with regard to the processing times with Land Titles which are posted on their website at the Government of Alberta Land Titles Spatial Information System SPIN2

  • How do I obtain a Compliance Assessment for my property?: Please provide an up-to-date Real Property Report (RPR) that is prepared by a Registered Alberta Surveyor and submit with the Compliance Assessment Form. The MD will accept digital copies of RPR’s. More information regarding Compliance Assessments can be found on our website.

  • Do you accept Compliance Assessments by email? The Planning Department will accept Electronic copies of Real Property Reports along with a Compliance Assessment form. A final compliance assessment letter will be sent electronically to the applicant.

  • What methods of payment are accepted by the MD for permits? You can pay by credit card, cheque, cash, or debit for permit related fees.  To pay by credit card, please visit the Option Pay page on our website. You will be required to enter your tax roll #. Please be advised that credit card merchant fees are the sole responsibility of the person using the site and cannot be returned once payment is processed

  • How do I obtain a Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Gas, or Private Sewage Disposal System Permit?: Please refer to the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA) which is the regulatory body for all Safety Codes Permits in the MD which was a decision by MD Council. You will find on the ASCA Website they have assigned Agencies that can review, and issue Safety Codes Permits within the MD. If you need more information on how to obtain a building permit or wanted to speak directly with a Safety Codes Officer to ask any National Building Code requirements, please use the information and links below. 
  • How do I obtain a Demolition Permit?: A Demolition Permit falls under the same category as a Building Permit. Please refer to the same information that is presented above on how to obtain a Safety Codes Permit.

Thank you from the Planning Department

Please refer back to this page for future updates on information regarding the M.D.’s Planning & Development Services Department. We are committed to providing the best possible service as we also ensure the health and safety of the public and our team members.